Caterpillar food plants
Some plants are worth growing to feed caterpillars and therefore encourage butterflies, moths and other insects to breed and visit your garden.
Besides the obvious cabbage family (!), the following will be attractive to this group ~
– Bird’s-Foot-Trefoil ~ Common Blue
– Holly ~ Holly Blue
– Honesty ~ Orange Tip
– Ivy ~ Holly Blue
– Lady’s Smock/cuckoo flower ~ Orange Tip
– Nasturtium ~ Large and small white
– Sorrel ~ Small Copper
– Sweet Rocket ~ Orange Tip
– Stinging Nettles ~ Small Tortoiseshell, Peacock, Red Admiral, Comma.
– Thistle ~ Painted Lady
– Groundsel ~ Burnet Moth
This is by no means a comprehensive list and it is in fact a ‘work in progress’ list so if you want to help others to help these lovely insects survive and recover, why don’t you suggest good food plants by contacting us